Two PMPML buses catch fire, all passengers safe
Pune: Two Pune Mahanagar Parivahan Mahamandal Limited (PMPML) buses, running on CNG, caught fire due to short circuit on Wednesday. One bus caught fire near Regional Transport Office (RTO) and other at Nehrunagar Bus Depot in Pimpri-Chinchwad.
“The first incident took place at 1.45 pm, where the bus (MH 12 HB 401) was parked at Chinchwadgaon bus stand and was supposed to ply on the second shift. The driver was about to reach near the bus and he found that there was a smoke coming from inside the bus and immediately, the bus caught fire. Fortunately, there was no casualty as there were no passengers in the bus at the time,” said Subhash Gaikwad, Public Relations Officer of PMPML.
The second incident occurred near AISSMS College next to RTO office in Pune. The bus was plying between Pune station and Sambhajinagar, Akurdi and there were around 20 passengers inside the bus. All passengers were evacuated from the bus thanks to the alertness of the bus driver.
“When the bus (MH 12 HB 0135) reached AISSMS, smoke started emanating from the bus caught the driver’s attention. He stopped the bus and alerted all passengers to get down. According to him, the bus caught fire immediately after all passengers got down from the bus. After receiving the call, we reached the spot within three minutes,” said Sudam Kondhare, leading fireman of Raja Bahadur Mill Road.
Gaikwad said, “Both buses which caught fire are CNG buses and we are waiting for the final report. While the preliminary report says both buses caught fire due to a short circuit, I cannot say anything right now as we do not have the final report with us. After we get the report, if required, an inquiry will be conducted.”