IPL 2021 Auction Highlights: Morris, Gowtham create history, Arjun joins MI, Shahrukh to Punjab; here's all you need to know
There were 125 foreign while 164 Indian cricketers who went under hammer in Chennai on Thursday
Chennai: Chris Morris (Rajasthan Royals) created history by becoming the expensive player in the IPL (Indian Premier League) while Krishnappa Gowtham who joined Chennai Super Kings steal the limelight by becaming the costliest Indian uncapped player at the IPL 2021 auction.
There were 125 foreign while 164 Indian cricketers who went under hammer in Chennai on Thursday.
The auction held on Thursday in Chennai witnessed some interesting bidding wars for players with a high base price. Despite a very passive record in recent times, many franchises with higher purses bid outrageously. In terms of numbers, the auction had some interesting facets. There were 292 players up for auction. According to the official statement by the IPL, 1,114 players had earlier registered with them for the auction. However, the final list saw just 292 cricketers.
With Arjun Tendulkar, Kedar Jadhav, Harbhajan Singh, K Gowtham, Tom Curran, Kyle Jamieson will be happy to play in the upcoming season of world’s greatest cricketing league. Here are some major signings in the auction:
· South African all-rounder Chris Morris scripted history by becoming most expensive buy in IPL auction as Rajasthan Royals signed him for Rs 16.25 crore.
· Below Morris, New Zealand pacer Kyle Jamieson was sold to Royal Challengers Bangalore for Rs 15 crore.
· Who will not like Kohli, AB and Maxwell in one team? Australian batsman Glenn Maxwell was auctioned by Royal Challengers Bangalore for Rs 14.25 crore.
· In what came as a surprising signing was Australian pacer Jhye Richardson who was sold to Punjab Kings for Rs 14 crore.
· Making Indians fans proud, Krishnappa Gowtham was signed for Rs 9.25 crore by Chennai Super Kings.
· Uncapped Australian pacer Riley Meredith whose base price was 40 lakh was bought by Punjab Kings for Rs 8 crore.
· England all-rounder Moeen Ali who played a good innings against India in ongoing Test series was bought by Chennai Super Kings for Rs 7 crore.
· England pacer Tom Curran fetched Rs 5.25 crore from Delhi Capitals.
· Talk of the town. Uncapped Tamil Nadu all-rounder Shahrukh Khan was sold to Punjab Kings for Rs 5.25 crore.
· All-rounder Shivam Dube went to Rajasthan Royals for Rs 4.40 crore.
· Test specialist Cheteshwar Pujara in a surprise move was bought by Chennai Super Kings for his base price Rs 50 lakh.
· Arjun Tendulkar as rumoured was bought by Mumbai Indians for Rs 20 lakhs.
· New Zealand pacer Adam Milne bought by Mumbai Indians for Rs 3.20 crore.
· Harbhajan Singh bought by Kolkata Knight Riders for Rs 2 crore while his former teammate at CSK Kedar Jadhav will play for SunRisers Hyderabad for Rs 2 crore.