Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station, demands FIR over pellet gun injuries to 19-year-old protester The Bridge Chronicle
News

Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station, demands FIR over pellet gun injuries to 19-year-old protester

LoP stages sit-in at Parliament Street police station with injured youth, demands FIR on alleged pellet gun firing during July 20 ‘Chalo Sansad’ protest

Abhijit Sherekar

It appears that Rahul Gandhi has chosen to confront the Union Home Minister directly over the use of pellet guns against protesters during the July 20 Chalo Sansad March.

Rahul Gandhi on Friday staged a dharna at the Parliament Street police station with 19-year-old Sahil Lochab, demanding registration of an FIR over pellet injuries suffered by the youth during the CJP-led July 20 protest, and said he would not leave until the complaint was registered.

As per the video shared from social media handle of congress party, LoP Rahul Gandhi accompanied by Sahil Lochab and Lochab's mother, first visited the Mandir Marg police station and sought registration of the FIR.

Police officials at Mandir Marg police station asked him to visit Deputy Commissioner of Police, at Parliament Street police station and met DCP Sachin Sharma.

The discussion failed to yield a result, following which Rahul sat on a dharna at the police station, which also houses the New Delhi DCP's office.

RAF deployed at Parliament Street station

Mr. Gandhi is joined by Sahil Lochab, a 19-year-old demonstrator who was struck by a pellet gun during a police operation. He sustained pellet wounds to his eyes and abdomen and subsequently underwent surgery at the AIIMS Trauma Centre.

The Delhi Police have currently cordoned off the area and shut the police station gates after Congress party workers and supporters tried to enter while shouting slogans. RAF personnel too were stationed outside the Parliament Street police station to stop Congress workers from gathering.

Congress MP Priyanka Gandhi Vadra has also reached the station, where party workers are holding a sit-in protest outside the gates.

“Sahil wants to file FIR, but that is not being allowed. If not Delhi Police, then who? We are only asking for justice for the family,” Mr. Gandhi said, speaking to media outside the police station.

‘No I/O number or acknowledgement on complaint’

The Congress party stated that Mr. Lochab, accompanied by his lawyers, went to the Delhi Police on August 14 and filed a written complaint.

However, the police allegedly failed to issue an I/O number or any acknowledgement.

They added that the complaint was followed up again on August 17 via email and phone, but still no I/O number or acknowledgement was given.

Accordingly, Mr. Gandhi joined Mr. Lochab at the DCP office on Friday (August 21, 2026) to push for action and demand that a case be registered.

“The DCP is still not providing the case officer’s details or the I/O number. Since this is a cognisable offence, an FIR must also be filed, but the Delhi Police is not doing so,” the party stated.

The complainant asserts that the alleged incident amounts to a cognisable offence and necessitates the filing of an FIR.

Previously, on July 29, the Congress leader spoke to the media, stating that the protesting students had been shot with pellet guns and alleging that Union Home Minister Amit Shah was responsible for the "brutality" inflicted on the demonstrators.

The protest spearheaded by the CJP resulted in Dharmendra Pradhan stepping down as Union Education Minister on July 25.

Help Us Create the Content You Love

Take Survey Now!

Enjoyed reading The Bridge Chronicle?
Your support motivates us to do better. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Whatsapp to stay updated with the latest stories.
You can also read on the go with our Android and iOS mobile app.

Pune’s Green Cover Remains at 10% Despite ₹108 Crore Garden Spending

US nuclear industry to submit detailed feedback on India’s SHANTI rules by September 4

Pune Railway Block on August 23: Several Trains Cancelled, Services Diverted

Two vessels carrying 22 Indian crew hijacked by pirates near Yemen and Somalia

Administration Missing From Site for Hours After 11-Year-Old Dies in Malhunge Road Accident

SCROLL FOR NEXT